LBPEA Visayas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Log inLog in  LBPEA PublicationsLBPEA Publications  PORTAL VIEWPORTAL VIEW  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  
LBPEA
SFAL PF HF RELEASE
December 15
Latest topics
» LBPEA NEB ATTENDS APPRECIATIVE LEADERSHIP SEMINAR
DISCOURSE ON INCREASE IN BENEFITS Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:36 am by sonia

» HMO ENROLLMENT FOR 2018
DISCOURSE ON INCREASE IN BENEFITS Icon_minitime1Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:24 am by sonia

» A message from LBPEA Visayas Director SONIA D. BROTARLO
DISCOURSE ON INCREASE IN BENEFITS Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:30 am by sonia

A message from LBPEA Visayas Director SONIA D. BROTARLO
DISCOURSE ON INCREASE IN BENEFITS Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:30 am by sonia
DISCOURSE ON INCREASE IN BENEFITS Sonia10

It has been two (2) years and six (6) months that this website was closed.  Many were disappointed with the closure but we have to keep up with the fast changing technology - facebook and twitter, among others.  

With the remaining one month and a half of my stint as Director for Visayas, I have been ruminative as to the manner of my “consummatum est” in LBPEA.  Thus  here I am re-opening the website pro hac vice for my grand exit. 

This is the medium where you first knew me and this is where I want to personally reach out to you to express my deepest and heartfelt “THANK YOU” for all the years that you trusted me. 

[ Full reading ]
Comments: 0
NEWS LINKS

DISCOURSE ON INCREASE IN BENEFITS

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
BLITZ

Number of posts : 181
Registration date : 2011-06-29

DISCOURSE ON INCREASE IN BENEFITS Empty
PostSubject: DISCOURSE ON INCREASE IN BENEFITS   DISCOURSE ON INCREASE IN BENEFITS Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:04 pm

Point to consider, kailan ang full implementation ng provisions ng GOCC Act? Di pa nga malinaw kung nabuo na composition ng GCG. Linawin natin na mag conduct pa yan ng study regarding sa benefits ng mga covered GOCCs. Ang cassification in fact ay 5, namely: (1) Developmental/Social Corporations; (2) Proprietary Commercial Corporations; (3) Government Financial, Investment and Trust Institutions; (4) Corporations with Regulatory Functions; and (5) Others as may be classified by the GCG.

Given this condition, malamang na taon ang palampasin bago matapos ang mga pag aaral na ito. In the meantime, wala muna increase sa mga benefits natin kung mag concur tayo na di pwede magkaroon ng increase. Absolute ba na di pwede magkaroon ng increase? Kung hindi nga pwede, bakit pala tayo nabigyan ng interim increase last year na inapprove ni presidente sometime in July 2011 considering na nag take effect ang GOCC Act July 1, 2011?

Baka pala pwede magrequest ng uincrease in the interim period! Palagay nyo?

Back to top Go down
semaj501

Number of posts : 280
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: DISCOURSE ON INCREASE IN BENEFITS   DISCOURSE ON INCREASE IN BENEFITS Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:59 pm

Blitz has a point, the IPP was signed/approved by Pnoy on July 4, 2011 - after the effectivity of the GOCC Act of 2011.
Back to top Go down
sonia
Admin

Number of posts : 1428
Registration date : 2008-12-16

PostSubject: Re: DISCOURSE ON INCREASE IN BENEFITS   DISCOURSE ON INCREASE IN BENEFITS Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:04 pm

For the sake of argument, I am raising the following points in Q&A form as a reaction to the opinion and query of BLITZ on the issue of IPP, to wit:

1. What is the legal requirement prior to approval of increase in salaries and benefits?
Joint Resolution No. 4 of Congress requires for a recommendation from DBM and subsequent Executive Order came out requiring for recommendation of TFCC.

2. Who recommended the IPP for LANDBANK?
It was the TFCC which recommended for an interim increase for LANDBANK on May 2011. As elucidated by Director Diaz, the TFCC recognized the fact that LANDBANK was left out in the salary increases thus the need for the interim increase.

3. Why was the IPP approved after the effectivity of the GOCC Act?
It is Presidential Prerogative or Executive Power of the President who would ever legally question such act of approval. Significantly there was substantial compliance with the legal requirement on recommendation prior to approval thus Pres. Aquino signed the IPP and above all there was Madam Ballsy Aquino who helped the LANDBANKERS.

4. What is the legal requirement under the GOCC Act for increase in salaries and benefits?
The GOCC Act requires for the recommendation of the GCG prior to approval of the President.

Given this legal requirement which affects not only LANDBANK but all other GOCCs as well, personally I dont see any way out at all. However, I am posing this challenge to our legal expert Atty. Semaj because impliedly, although lacking in explanation, he concurred with the point raised by BLITZ on the signing by PNoy dated July 4, 2011 after the effectivity of the GOCC Act.

Back to top Go down
https://lbpea.forumotion.net
semaj501

PostSubject: Re: DISCOURSE ON INCREASE IN BENEFITS   DISCOURSE ON INCREASE IN BENEFITS Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:49 pm

There is no harm in trying to request for an increase during the interim period. BLITZ may have a point because there is already a precedence. The IPP which was signed by the President on July 4, 2011 at the time the GOCC Act is already in effect is the clear proof. There must be legal basis in approving the IPP.

On the statement that:
Quote :
It is Presidential Prerogative or Executive Power of the President who would ever legally question such act of approval

Admittedly, the President has vast authority because of the Residual Powers ordained in EO 297 (Administrative Code of 1987) which states that "unless Congress provides otherwise, the President shall exercise such other powers and functions vested in the President which are provided for under the laws and which are not specifically enumerated above, or which are not delegated by the President in accordance with law".

In other words, while the President has a plenty of powers, he may not unilaterally impose his will by breaking laws because his powers have limitations, and the fundamental law of the land is clear on this, that the President shall ensure that the laws be faithfully executed (Sec. 17, Art. VII, 1987 Phil. Constitution). Therefore, there is no Presidential prerogative to speak of if there are laws enacted which should be followed by everyone.

Back to top Go down
sonia
Admin

PostSubject: DISCUSSION ON INCREASE IN BENEFITS   DISCOURSE ON INCREASE IN BENEFITS Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:25 pm

Thank you Atty. Semaj for your legal opinion!

As i have repeatedly commented in this website and I stand firm with my statement that Pres. Aquino would not approve increases in salary and benefits unless recommended by a body legally authorized to do so. Under prevailing law more particularly the GOCC Act, only the GCG could make such recommendation for any increase in salary and benefits.

Do you think our LANDBANK Board would make recommendation directly to Pres. Aquino for approval of increase in our benefits? I dont think so considering the fact that the Chairman of LANDBANK Board is Finance Secretary Purisima who is also an ex-oficio member of the GCG.

I say there was an exercise of Presidential Prerogative in the signing of the IPP because Blitz concurred by Atty. Semaj raised the issue on the date of its approval which was July 4, 2012 during this time the GOCC Act was already in effect. Strictly and technically speaking, the President could have refused signing it since the recommendatory body was supposed to be the GCG however in our instance it was the TFCC. So exercising his Presidential Prerogative coupled with irresistible influence from a presidential sister, Pres. Aquino opted to sign the IPP.

Back to top Go down
semaj501

PostSubject: Re: DISCOURSE ON INCREASE IN BENEFITS   DISCOURSE ON INCREASE IN BENEFITS Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:52 pm

If indeed the argument raised is true, that the sole basis of Pnoy's signing the IPP at the time the GOCC Act is already effective is his prerogative as a president of the republic, then he is opening himself to future legal problems because of abuse of discretion which may be brought to court on certiorari. It is even worse if the basis is the quoted "irresistible influence" of the sister. God forbids if this is really how the country is being managed now- merely on pure prerogative even if it contravenes with the laws, or through the influence of kins or shooting buddies!. Remember that the constitution mandates or directs the President that he shall ensure that the laws be faithfully executed. If he breaks this, then he will surely be a subject of impeachment or other legal processes in the future due to his own making.

Bottomline, can we not clarify with DBM if we are entitled to the increase on ACA/PERA? Ito lang naman ang main issue sa subject na increase on benefits!
Back to top Go down
sonia
Admin

PostSubject: Re: DISCOURSE ON INCREASE IN BENEFITS   DISCOURSE ON INCREASE IN BENEFITS Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:36 pm

With all due respect to you honorable Atty Semaj, I beg to STRONGLY disagree and I am rebutting your argument that as President of the Republic-Pres. Noy is opening himself to future legal problem because of abuse of discretion for signing the IPP on the following grounds:

1. Certiorari would not prosper due to Separation of Powers - we both know this so called thing "separation of powers" between the 3 branches of the Government- the Legislative, Judicial and Executive Departments. Assailing the act of the President in the exercise of his Executive function is an encroachment on the part of Judiciary. We learned this in law school.

2. LandBank belongs to the Executive Branch of the Government
Our ultimate Boss is the President of the Republic of the Philippines. It is within his power to approve the recommendation of the body/agency authorized by law to do such. It is never an abuse of discretion for a top executive of the government to sign/approve increase in salary as it is within his Constitutional mandate to do so being the head of the Executive Department.

3. Signing the IPP of LANDBANK is not in contravention of any law. As there is and never was any law proscribing the President to perform such act.

4. It is a sad fact as it may but our political system since time immemorial is accentuated and made exciting by close political allies, political dynasties, influences, etc. I need not dwell too much on the obvious.

I rest my arguments honorable Atty!

Back to top Go down
semaj501

PostSubject: Re: DISCOURSE ON INCREASE IN BENEFITS   DISCOURSE ON INCREASE IN BENEFITS Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:05 pm

@ Ms Sonia: I did not say that he (Pnoy) committed abuse of discretion, it was qualified. What I have said is that there must be a legal basis of PNoy in signing the IPP when the GOCC Act is already effective because the law requires a procedure that must be followed before any increase will be made which is through the GCG and not TFCC as pointed out.

On the other points, the doctrine of separation of powers may have been misconstrued. In a democratic and republican state like the Phil., the powers of the national govt are exercised in main by three branches — the executive branch headed by the President, the legislative branch composed of Congress and the judicial branch with the Supreme Court occupying the highest tier of the judiciary. It is elementary that each of these branches of the govt has their own mandated functions - the legislative enact laws, the judiciary interpret laws, and the executive execute the laws. One branch may not therefore legally intrude on the domain of another.

If there is a grave abuse of discretion on the part of any of these branches, there is always a remedy in the course of law, one is Certiorari. Take the case of the very 1st executive order of Pnoy creating the Truth Commission, everybody knows what happened to this EO. It was ruled as unconstitutional. Even the GOCC Act which is a creation of the legislature is being challenged for its unconstitutionality. It is not correct therefore to say that "assailing the act of the President in the exercise of his Executive function is an encroachment on the part of Judiciary" if he oversteps his authority because laws or rules provide for controls and punishments for abuses. By way of illustration, If the president on his own sets salary increases, this act is undeniable a grave abuse of discretion because it is the legislature which has the power to set salary increases.

I hope to have clarified the matter.

Back to top Go down
sonia
Admin

PostSubject: Re: DISCOURSE ON INCREASE IN BENEFITS   DISCOURSE ON INCREASE IN BENEFITS Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:27 am

semaj501 wrote:
If indeed the argument raised is true, that the sole basis of Pnoy's signing the IPP at the time the GOCC Act is already effective is his prerogative as a president of the republic, then he is opening himself to future legal problems because of abuse of discretion which may be brought to court on certiorari. It is even worse if the basis is the quoted "irresistible influence" of the sister. God forbids if this is really how the country is being managed now- merely on pure prerogative even if it contravenes with the laws, or through the influence of kins or shooting buddies!. Remember that the constitution mandates or directs the President that he shall ensure that the laws be faithfully executed. If he breaks this, then he will surely be a subject of impeachment or other legal processes in the future due to his own making.

Atty Semaj501: The bone of contention actually is the approval date of the IPP-July 4, 2011 which Blitz raised as an issue impliedly concurred by you. Why was this highlighted? Definitely there must be a cogent reason for raising this as an issue considering the fact that the act of signing was done during the effectivity of the GOCC Act.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DISCOURSE ON INCREASE IN BENEFITS   DISCOURSE ON INCREASE IN BENEFITS Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

DISCOURSE ON INCREASE IN BENEFITS
Page 1 of 1